Friday, February 21, 2014

Gideon

     I was reading in Judges this morning and it talked about how Gideon fought as God had told him to and he overcame the Midianites. I remember really liking the story of Gideon, but as I read Judges 8:23-27, I felt this real sadness because I had forgotten how the story ended.  But Gideon told them, "I will not rule over you, nor will my son rule over you. The Lord will rule over you.” 24 And he said, “I do have one request, that each of you give me an earring from your share of the plunder.” 27 Gideon made the gold into an ephod, which he placed in Ophrah, his town. All Israel prostituted themselves by worshiping it there, and it became a snare to Gideon and his family.
     I had forgotten that Gideon turned away and made an idle. I was very disappointed and then I thought, "How bad does God feel when we turn away like that, after all he has done?" It makes me want to please God even more and be more careful of what I do. I know it is frustrating to read stories of people who don't have happy endings, but it is a good reminder to us that we need to stand strong and use discernment. We need to not repeat other people's mistakes. 1 Corinthians 15:58; Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
 ~Daughter of the Light

No comments:

Post a Comment