Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Speaking Words of Love

     Galatians 5:6; For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.  Without love, nothing counts.  If I am not being loving while I am being gentle or faithful, it is pointless. I want to love people, but often my pride gets in the way.
     Have you ever been told that words matter? I have been told that countless times. My mother once had a friend who smoked a lot and she finally decided that she wanted to quite. She started saying, "I don't smoke anymore." She would say that all the time, wherever she was, whatever she was doing. Even if she was smoking she would declare, "God has given me the power to stop smoking." After a while of speaking in faith over and over again, she began to smoke less and less. Finally, she stopped completely and had no desire to go back.
     That is an example of how words have power to do good. They also have the power to do bad. My grandmother often said, "I think I'm getting Alzheimer's." When she made a mistake or forgot something she would say, "Oh, I guess I'm getting Alzheimer's." After years of saying this, she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. She died in her early sixties when I was about six or seven. She was a wonderful woman, but she continued to declare something that was not good.
     For me I have decided that every day I am going to declare that I love people. I am going to name my family members and my friends and acquaintances and people I don't like very much. I am going to declare that I love my mom; I love my dad. If I speak that over and over I know it will affect me in a good way. It can be had to say when I am angry with people, but the truth is... I don't really want to be mad at anyone. With help from God, I will be able to love everyone just like he called me to do.
~Daughter of the Light

No comments:

Post a Comment