Thursday, January 23, 2014

Prayer

     Mark 9:28-29;  After Jesus had gone indoors, his disciples asked him privately, “Why couldn't we drive [the demon] out?”  29 He replied, "This kind can come out only by prayer."
     By saying this, Jesus was implying that prayer is the most powerful weapon. Prayer is something I struggle with, big time. I mean, you're just talking. They're just words. How could that be more powerful than actions? Don't actions speak louder than words? I'm a doer. I like making things happen with my own two hands.
      Prayer is such a beautiful thing because when you pray for someone else, you are asking God to do something you can't do. You are using your words to humbly ask him to make an action, and his actions will be so much better and more successful than ours. The reason I struggle with prayer is because it requires humility. If I was to pray for someone, I would be admitting that I cannot solve my problem on my own.
     Now, the only time you can talk to God is certainly not when you only need something. I talk to him often about being thankful for random things... like my hairbrush. I'm not sure what I would do without my hairbrush; or peanut butter, I am in love with peanut butter. I thank God for those kind of things all the time, and sometimes  I tell him about my day, but often I don't want to sound repetitive. After all, he knows what I did; he knows what I'm going to do. God really wants us to treat him like our friend though. Often my friends tell me the same thing that happened in their life over and over again because they forgot they already told me, but I still sit there and listen because I love talking to them.
     I often underestimate God's power, and I try to do things on my own. After I reach the point of no return (or at least I think I've messed up really badly), then I go to him and ask for help. The truth is, I need to humble myself and know that he is God and I am not. Philippians 4:13; I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. It doesn't say I can do all things by myself.
     Perhaps I should challenge myself to pray extra on a certain day of the week so that I really get talking to God more often. Let's start with today. Thursday. On every Thursday, I challenge myself to spend extra time with God. I am certainly not less busy on Thursday than I am other days, but God is more important to me than anything else. I really do want to grow in him. You can absolutely challenge yourself too. I know some people that already do this, and I highly admire them. If you are one of those people who spends lots of time praying to God, thank you for being a good influence on the people around you. As for me, I shall be working on that.
~Daughter of the Light

No comments:

Post a Comment