Monday, January 13, 2014

Why Did Paul Appeal to Caesar?

     Acts 25; 10-11; I have not done any wrong to the Jews, as you yourself know very well. 11 If, however, I am guilty of doing anything deserving death, I do not refuse to die. But if the charges brought against me by these Jews are not true, no one has the right to hand me over to them. I appeal to Caesar!” 
     I was reading this chapter in my bible this morning and I was wondering, why exactly did Paul appeal to Caesar? He said he was not afraid to die, as he had stared before, and he trusted God to take care of him. So, was he just tired of staying in prison and felt like that would be a good move to get him out. The I was thinking, well maybe it was because he wanted to testify to Caesar. It was not because he was afraid of death or being cooped up in a cell, it was so he could tell others, whom he could not normally reach, about Christ. See how God turned something not so good into something excellent. Paul had to stay in prison for a couple years even though he did nothing wrong -reminds me of Joseph-, but God used it for good.
     Luke 12:11; When you are brought before a ruler, do not worry about how you will defend yourself or what you will say, 12 for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should sayPerhaps this was another reason Paul appealed to Caesar. It was because the Holy Spirit was speaking through Paul.
     This thought is really comforting to me to know that if I ever was brought somewhere important to speak, I could trust the Holy Spirit to speak because I would totally mess it up. I would need it to speak for me. Some say that they have been a situation like that, where they had to speak to important people, and they said that the Holy Spirit did not tell them anything. LISTEN! I'm sure the Holy Spirit was talking, but they would not really listen. Perhaps they had ignored the Holy Spirit so many times before they could not hear it.
     Thank you God that you send your Holy Spirit to us to tell us the wise things to say. Please help me to listen, accept, and obey what I am told by you. I really do want to do your will, but I am a sinner. I make mistakes and mess up. You are perfect. Please help me to be more like you.
Amen.
~Daughter of the Light

No comments:

Post a Comment